Prototype design for gamma activation measurement of gold on conveyor
Total Grant Value
2017 - 2018
Project completed by CRC ORE: Optimising Resource Extraction which receives allocation of MRIWA funds.
- The gold industry faces a projected future of decreasing grades and increased deposit complexity.
- Detector performance could help maintain optimal performance in mineral processing.
- To achieve this, detectors would need to deliver accurate measurement of gold content in real time for feed moving into a processing circuit
- This research delivered a buildable, costed design for an on-belt gold ore sensing pilot facility delivering direct performance measurement on an operating conveyor.
- The principal components of this system include a high-power X-ray source, detector array, radiation conveyor, and main shield.
- This plan could be directly translated to a site-based trial at a production ore feed rate.
Benefit to WA
- The new technological solution delivered by this research will support improvements in the efficiency and profitability of the Western Australian gold industry.
- As gold mining becomes more efficient and effective, it boosts the Western Australian economy, stimulating import, exports and trade.
Page was last reviewed 6 August 2020