Supporting and empowering mining industry thought leaders and research champions of the future
MRIWA’s scholarship round for 2023 opens on 01 July and closes to applications on 30 September.
If you are interested in applying for a MRIWA scholarship, consult the information on this page and then reach out to the scholarships team at the address below for a conversation.
MRIWA provides competitive scholarships to support exceptional candidates pursuing postgraduate research relevant to the minerals industry in Western Australia.
The benefits of a MRIWA scholarship include:
- Generous stipend support of up to $38,689 per annum for up to three years of study (with the potential for extension); and
- Additional support for research and other expenses linked to your studies.
Scholarship recipients are also invited to participate in tailored training and professional development activities, and supported in accessing relevant mentoring and networking opportunities with leading innovators operating in the minerals industry.
MRIWA offers a minimum of three competitive scholarships each year.
Our scholarships can be held at any university in Western Australia, and are awarded to support postgraduate students undertaking research relating to any eligible aspect of Western Australia’s minerals industry, including:
- Improving the discovery rate of economic mineral resources;
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the mining industry;
- Strategic and critical mineral commodities;
- Lowering the carbon footprint of steel production;
- Alternative uses of mine tailings and mineral by-products;
- Reducing the environmental impact of mining;
- Direct capture of greenhouse gases through mineral carbonation and;
- Other subjects aligned to the current MRIWA Research Priority Plan.
Applications will be assessed against criteria of academic and research excellence, and the quality of a detailed research proposal submitted by the applicant.
Applications for the 2023 scholarship round will close 30 September 2023.
MRIWA Odwyn Jones PhD Scholarship
Open to all applicants, domestic and international.
MRIWA PhD Scholarship for Women
Open to women applicants only, domestic and international.
MRIWA Indigenous Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants only.
Additional Scholarships may be awarded at the discretion of the MRIWA board
Download the application form*
Page was last reviewed 4 July 2023