Search this website

Research Grants

Coming soon

Postgraduate Scholarships

When are applications for MRIWA scholarships due?

The deadline for applications to MRIWA is September 30.

What degrees can a MRIWA scholarship support?

The MRIWA Odwyn Jones PhD Scholarship, the MRIWA PhD Scholarship for Women, MRIWA PhD Scholarships (not offered every year), and MRIWA Directors’ Scholarships (not offered every year) can only be applied to support study in a PhD degree program at an eligible university. The MRIWA Indigenous Postgraduate Research Scholarship can support study in PhD or Masters degree by research programs.

Do I need to study in Western Australia?

Yes. A MRIWA scholarship can be held by any student who will be primarily based at a university campus located in Western Australia.

When will I find out the results of my application?

Final decisions on the award of MRIWA scholarships are made a meeting of the Institute’s Board in mid-November. All applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application no later than two days after this meeting.

Do I need to apply to a university as well as to MRIWA?

Yes. MRIWA is not an educational institution and has no formal influence on the assessment and acceptance of applicants onto degree programs. Applicants for MRIWA Scholarships who are not already registered in a relevant postgraduate research degree at the time of application must have applied for an eligible postgraduate research degree prior to submitting an application to MRIWA.

Do I need to have a supervisor in place before I apply for a MRIWA scholarship?

Yes. Applicants are advised to begin discussions with potential supervisors as early as possible in the process of preparing their application.

Can MRIWA help me to find a potential supervisor?

No. Applicants are expected to conduct their own research and build any required relationships with supervisors and other relevant staff at a host University as part of their application preparations.

Will MRIWA supervise my studies?

No. Awardees will be supervised in their studies by academic staff at their host institution. MRIWA will provide additional support and networking opportunities to awardees and can act as an independent advocate on their behalf, but does not play a formal role in the management of their studies.

What are the English language requirements for a MRIWA scholarship?

Applicants from a non-English-speaking background must supply valid IELTS documentation (or equivalent) demonstrating competency in written and spoken English to the standards required by their proposed host University. Applicants who have a degree-level qualification from an Australian University are exempt from this requirement.

Can I submit an application or supporting documents in a language other than English?

No. All documentation must be submitted in English. Where original documentation is in another language, a certified translation into English must be provided along with the original documents.

Can I study part-time?

Yes. MRIWA will consider applications for either full-time or part-time studies where this is consistent with the policies of the intended host university.

Can I apply for a MRIWA scholarship if I am already studying?

Yes. MRIWA accepts applications for support at any point in an eligible degree program from initial registration to completion of the degree. Any period of studies already completed would be deducted from the duration of MRIWA scholarship support.

Can I hold other scholarships while in receipt of a MRIWA award?

Yes. MRIWA scholarships are non-exclusive, and can be held alongside other awards. Where an awardee is also in receipt of an Australian Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or equivalent, the MRIWA scholarship is converted to a top-up award.

Am I eligible for the MRIWA Indigenous Postgraduate Research Scholarship?

The MRIWA Indigenous Postgraduate Research Scholarship is only open to Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants. Applicants are required to provide evidence of their Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status. This would usually take the form of confirmation under the common seal of a community organisation. Where exceptional circumstances apply, statutory declarations and other forms of documentation may be considered. Original or certified copies of supporting documentation must be provided.

Does a MRIWA scholarship cover the costs of the research I will undertake?

An awardee’s supervisor and/or host institution are expected to provide the primary support for analytical and other costs associated with their research. MRIWA provides all awardees with up to $5,527 per year (administered by their host University) for ancillary research expenses, travel, and other costs related to their studies. Scholarship recipients are also eligible to apply for competitive student research grants from MRIWA.

Does MRIWA support conference attendance and travel for awardees?

MRIWA provides all awardees with up to $5,527 per year (administered by their host University) for ancillary research expenses, conference fees, travel, and other costs related to their studies.

Does MRIWA provide funding for relocation expenses?


Do I need to have experience in mining to be awarded an MRIWA scholarship?

No. Candidates are assessed on the basis of their educational record, the relevance of their current or proposed studies to MRIWA’s research priorities, and their career and personal experience in relation to the proposed research program.

Would my proposed research need to be based in the mining industry?

Not necessarily. Applications from all subject areas will be considered as long as the applicant can demonstrate how the activity would deliver the intended outcome with regard to MRIWA’s research priorities.

Page was last reviewed 4 July 2023

Back to main content